Golgi apparatus is a stack of flattened membrane bound vesicles that functions in the storage, modification and repackaging of manufactured biochemical substances in the cell. This organelle was discovered by an Italian scientist called Camillo Golgi while investigating the nervous system in 1879, the organelle was named after him in 1898.
- 1 CELL ORGANELLES: THE GOLGI BODIES QUIZ
Golgi apparatus is divided into two types based on their location in the cell into:
- cis-Golgi apparatus
- trans-Golgi apparatus
This is the type of Golgi apparatus found very close to the endoplasmic reticulum
This type of Golgi apparatus is found on the outside of endoplasmic reticulum
How Golgi apparatus works
First the endoplasmic reticulum package protein, lipids and other biochemical substances into vesicles and releases these vesicles into the Golgi apparatus which modifies and repackage the proteins and lipids into vesicles and them release them to go into:
- Lysosome, an organelle which contains enzymes responsible for degrading and recycling molecules in living cells
- Cell membrane which leads to the outside of the cell. For example, insulin produced in ᵝ – cells of pancreas are released into the blood to help regulate the blood sugar level.
- Plasma membrane for cell repair and replacement.
Help us to improve our articles, we will appreciate your comment
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE
CELL ORGANELLES: THE GOLGI BODIES QUIZ
0 of 7 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 7 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 7
Golgi organelle was discovered by an Italian scientist called Gamillo GolgiCorrect
Question 2 of 7
2. QuestionCategory: questions
Golgi apparatus is a stack of flattened membrane bound vesicles that functions in the storage, modification and repackaging of manufactured biochemical substances in the cell.Correct
Question 3 of 7
Golgi apparatus is divided into two types based on their location in the cellCorrect
Question 4 of 7
cis-Golgi apparatus is the type of Golgi apparatus found very close to the endoplasmic reticulumCorrect
Question 5 of 7
trans-Golgi apparatus is the type of Golgi apparatus is found on the outside of the endoplasmic reticulumCorrect
Question 6 of 7
Lysosome contain enzymes that are responsible for degrading and recycling molecules in living cellsCorrect
Question 7 of 7
Insulin helps to regulate the blood sugar levelCorrect
- GET THEM OFF YOUR BED - 09/09/2020
- NIGERIABANKS & THEIR USSD CODES - 22/07/2020
- LIST OF BANKS IN NIGERIA, THEIR CUSTOMER CARE NUMBERS AND EMAIL - 24/06/2020