Appendages literally means “Parts of the body that protrude out from the main body”. Glycocalyx, fimbriae, pili, flagella and S-layer are the main cell wall appendages of prokaryotes. Glycocalyx is found on the outer surface of the cell wall of prokaryotes (mainly bacteria).
- 1 Composition and structure of Glycocalyx
- 2 Functions of Glycocalyx
- 3 CELL WALL APPENDAGES: THE GLYCOCALYX QUIZ
There are two types of Glycocalyx based on their structure and adherence to the bacterial cell wall, namely:
- Slime layer
When glycocalyx is tightly bound to the cell wall of bacteria, it is referred to as capsule. It is gelatinous in nature and cannot be easily stained and removed from the bacterial cell wall
The glycocalyx called “slime layer” is loosely bound to the cell wall of bacteria. Slime layer is irregular and can easily be removed via centrifugation from the bacterial cell wall.
Composition and structure of Glycocalyx
Capsule is made up of polysaccharide. It contains polypeptides in some cases. e.g D-glutamic acid in B. anthracis. The structure of bacterial capsule can be viewed under the microscope by using India ink staining technique while slime layer majorly consist of polysaccharides, glycoproteins, and glycolipids.
Functions of Glycocalyx
- Disease: It is a virulence factor in most bacteria, and it contributes to their ability to cause diseases in their host.
- Protection: Glycocalyx protects bacteria from antibiotics, chemicals and against the lytic and phagocytic activities of host’s white blood cells.
- Adherence to surfaces: The sticky nature of the glycocalyx enables bacteria to attach themselves firmly to the surface of their host. Streptococcus mutans, the causal agent of tooth decay adheres to the surface of decaying teeth with the help of glycocalyx.
- Avoidance of desiccation: Glycocalyx (especially capsule) contains water as its constituent. This help to prevent dryness of the bacterial cell.
- In cell-cell recognition: The glycocalyx carries receptors on their surface that allows them to bind to other cells of close species.
Help us to improve our articles, we will appreciate your comment
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE
CELL WALL APPENDAGES: THE GLYCOCALYX QUIZ
0 of 8 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 8 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 8
—– is an examples of cell wall appendageCorrect
Question 2 of 8
The two types of bacteria glycocalyx are ____Correct
Question 3 of 8
Which of the following is tightly bound to the bacterial cell wallCorrect
Question 4 of 8
Slime layer are said to be —Correct
Question 5 of 8
India ink technique is used for staining —Correct
Question 6 of 8
Glycocalyx help to protect bacteria carrier against phagocytosis’Correct
Question 7 of 8
Slime layer can easily be removed via centrifugationCorrect
Question 8 of 8
S. mutans adhere to decaying tooth with the help of glycocalyxCorrect
- GET THEM OFF YOUR BED - 09/09/2020
- NIGERIABANKS & THEIR USSD CODES - 22/07/2020
- LIST OF BANKS IN NIGERIA, THEIR CUSTOMER CARE NUMBERS AND EMAIL - 24/06/2020