A teacher once asked his five years old student during a lecture: “Why do you want to marry?”. The child answered: “I want to marry in order to give birth and ensure my continuity when I am gone”. That’s very true, though there are hundreds of reasons why one should marry.
Cells divide in order to ensure their continuity through two processes:
The mitotic type of cell division occurs in the soma cells, while the meiotic type of cell division occurs in the gamete cells.
Why mitotic cell division?
- Division of the body cells (somatic cells) unarguably leads to an increase in the body size and mass.
- Ever had a wound on your knee while playing soccer?. The replacement of the damaged tissue skin is facilitated by mitotic cell division. Replacement of worn-out cells on body tissues are through mitosis.
- In certain animals such as crustacean and starfish. Regeneration of the lost body tissues is by mitosis.
- It is also the fundamental basis for asexual reproduction.
Why meiotic cell division?
- Cells of testes and ovaries that are involved in sexual reproduction divide by the meiotic process.
- It provides an opportunity for a combination of new genes unlike in mitotic cell division.
Help us to improve our articles, we will appreciate your comment
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE
INTRODUCTION TO CELL DIVISION QUIZ
0 of 7 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 7 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 7
Cells divide in order to ensure their continuity through two processesCorrect
Question 2 of 7
The mitotic type of cell division occurs in the soma cellsCorrect
Question 3 of 7
Meiotic type of cell division occurs in the gamete cellsCorrect
Question 4 of 7
Regeneration of the lost body tissues in crustacean and starfish is by mitosisCorrect
Question 5 of 7
It is also the fundament basis for asexual reproductionCorrect
Question 6 of 7
Cells of testes and ovaries that are involved in sexual reproduction divide by the meiotic processCorrect
Question 7 of 7
Meiosis provides an opportunity for a combination of new genesCorrect
- GET THEM OFF YOUR BED - 09/09/2020
- NIGERIABANKS & THEIR USSD CODES - 22/07/2020
- LIST OF BANKS IN NIGERIA, THEIR CUSTOMER CARE NUMBERS AND EMAIL - 24/06/2020